45 states grant religious exemptions from compulsory vaccination
· The national average for vaccination exemptions is 25X higher at 2.5%.
· West Virginia only accepts these contraindications to compulsory vaccination:
o a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of the vaccine
o Encephalopathy within 7 days of a previous dose (DTaP).
o Progressive neurologic disorder (DTaP)
· THUS, children must be previously VACCINE INJURED to get a medical exemption regardless of medical condition or family history of severe vaccine reactions.
· Children who can be predicted by their pediatrician to be at HIGH RISK from vaccination need to become VACCINE INJURED before they can get a medical exemption.
· Parents report they CANNOT find a pediatrician in WV to write a medical exemption request regardless of the child’s risk of being vaccinated
· Inability to get a religious or medical exemption is driving children AWAY from WV public schools.
o since 2015 the number of homeschool students in the state has risen by 29% (3,220)
o families are leaving the state