January 31, 2021 In Education
COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness
· Multiple SARS-CoV-2 variants have emerged (Figure); their mutations threaten COVID-19 vaccine efficacy.
· Moderna, Pfizer, and Novavax reported their vaccines are less than 50% effective against the rapidly spreading South African variant.
· All three are already planning COVID-19 booster shots to better target the South African variant.
· With the high transmission rates of these variants, the CDC has urged increased masking and distancing, mitigation measures which did not prevent the pandemic 2nd and 3rd waves.
· The present vaccines do not appear to be the light at the end of the tunnel.
· It is long past time to use effective non-vaccine COVID-19 treatments. Here are two: Early Outpatient Treatment of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Infection and Eastern Virginia Medical School COVID-19 Management Protocol.